Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Day 7: Elkhart to Middlebury- Merry Christmas Eve!!!!

This morning I was awoken by a phone call by my Milligan.  I could hear in his voice that he was excited to get today's run finished so he could get home to Dallas and Abby.  The past few days he's been stressing over smoking this turkey.  So I woke myself up and got dressed enough to go get some coffee down stairs. Milligan had already eaten and was well on his way to entertaining the Holiday Inn staff.  He'd gotten online to show them about our adventure thus far.  As I gradually woke up I chimed in a bit as well.  We had some time to spar as we were waiting on that call from Kearney that he was on his way.  I went about my usual morning routine getting dressed then headed back down for my feast of a breakfast.  As I was eating I learned that one of the ladies' name was Susan...my mom's name.....it was a sign to me that today was going to be a good day....despite the rain.

We all had new head wear today due to the rain.  I just wanted to be festive!

We eventually got that call from Kearney and then headed out to drop off my car at our day's destination. Upon our arrival back Kearney was waiting on us.  So off we set out on 19 and headed up Hively.  This was a tough mental run for a while because not only did not really have turns to make...but it was RAINING.  40 degrees and a steady drizzle to rain.  Somewhere around when Hively existed Elkhart and turned in to CR 18 the rain just seemed to stop.  We could just run.  I was running with classic Christmas music today....and Kearney and Milligan had each other.... I was about half mile behind them today.  Nope not injured..but the miles taking their toll on my tired legs.  They couldn't leave without me today....the car we left was mine and the key safe in MY pocket.  We are only as strong as our weakest...or slowest runner.  That's ME!  Around 6.5 miles I spotted some more appealing blow up yard decorations.... I told them I'd only stop for penguins...and boy this house did not disappoint!  Whoooo hooo!

So excited so many penguins!!!













The next few miles were a touch rolling testing the endurance we had left in us...but we all tackled them successfully.  Lots of smiles, waves and few honks to encourage us along the way. You could certainly tell we were getting closer to amish co.....   a few Yoder mailboxes...and several horses along the route.  I even had sighting of one buggie being pulled along by one horse.  I wonder if I'll get to race one later this week. Even so...as I neared our destination I could see Milligan and Kearney heading back to bring me the last half mile or so in.... We ended today just a touch over 15 miles on the day...bringing our total to around 106.  I will calculate out our totals on rest day tomorrow.




From all of us Merry Christmas and THANK YOU for all of your support and encouragement.  We very much appreciate it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment